Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thing 20: You Tube

You Tube is great fun. I know I've killed lots of time this afternoon just hopping from video to video. You say learn...

One way I've already made use of YT at the library is in the Homework Help Center. Yourteacher.com has posted a number of their math lessons on You Tube. They are short (less than 5 minutes) instructional videos on specific topics in math. The video I've embedded here is about solving square roots, but there are hundreds of others. It's easy to direct a student to the appropriate page, kids like using the computer...magic! Warning: this may cause drowsiness.



I think I will start sending customers to CreativeCommons for computer instructions too. Good stuff.

As for official library usage, I think it would be a lovely thing to arrange a CML channel with instructional videos to answer common customer questions like how to use aquabrowser, how to print, how to save. It might also be a cheap and savvy way to do some marketing.

No comments: