Friday, November 28, 2008

Thing 21: Podcasts

Of the two highlighted podcast directories, Podcast Alley was my favorite. I had to play with it a little to figure it out, but I generally liked the results. I also liked DigitalPodcast, a directory I found through Google's directory of podcast directories, although I wouldn't probably use it before Podcast Alley.

I generally think of podcasts as a nice extra from blogs I like rather than as a primary source of information. So I listen to podcasts from websites I visit regularly, but am surprised to learn that there are actually directories of them. I wonder how many of the podcasts in the directories are meant to be stand-alone rather than supplemental to other websites.

For the library, audio podcasts could be used to highlight some new or under-utilized services, webcast interviews with visitors and employees of interest, or provide commonly requested information or book reviews. Having said that, YouTube video podcasts strike me as being more useful to the library. They could be used to do all the things audio podcasts do, plus provide information that really needs visual aids, like help customers with common problems on the PCs and catalog computers.

No comments: